How to make Chocolate Ice Cream with your Stand Mixer
How can someone make ice cream with a stand mixer? Is it possible? Yes, it is definitely possible! A stand mixer can now become an ice cream maker with the correct attachment. Ice cream can now be made within 20 minutes right in the comfort of your own home using the best stand mixer 2019.
Serving Size: 4-6
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Infusion Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Freezing Time: overnight
• 1 vanilla pod
• 300 ml milk
• 6 large egg yolks
• 100 g sugar
• 300 ml double cream
• 125 g grated chocolate
1. Scrape the seed out of the vanilla pod.
2. In a saucepan, put the milk, vanilla pod and vanilla seed and bring into a boil.
3. As soon as the milk boils, remove the saucepan from the heat.
4. Cover the saucepan and let the mixture stand for 30 minutes.
5. In the mixer, whisk the egg yolks and sugar using the wire whisk until thick and pale. Use speed 6 from the selector.
6. Bring the milk mixture again to boil and then pour onto the mixing bowl. Adjust the speed from 6 to 4 and start mixing the milk, egg yolks, and sugar until creamy.
7. Pour back the vanilla cream into the saucepan and stir constantly on low heat until the cream thickens.
8. Strain into a container and cover with a cling wrap.
9. Chill until cold.
10. Once the mixture is completely cold, pour the chocolate into the cream and stir until completely smooth.
11. Pour into the freeze bowl.
12. With the use of a dasher, churn the cream until almost firm on speed 2.
13. Transfer into a freezer-proof bowl and put it in the freezer overnight.
14. Before serving, transfer the ice cream into the refrigerator for 20 minutes to soften the ice cream.
Source: KitchenAid® – The Cookbook
About the Attachment
The Ice Cream Bowl Attachment features a rotating dasher that rotates in the freeze bowl spreading, scraping and mixing the batter, a freeze bowl that has a capacity of 1.9 Liter of soft ice cream, and a drive assembly that is used in fastening the attachment into the body of the stand mixer.
Assembling the Attachment
Before assembling, make sure that the mixer unplugged. Tilt the head of the mixer and put the freeze bowl and the dasher into the proper place. Slide the drive assembly and lock into position on the mixer’s head. Tilt back the head of the mixer into its original position to connect the drive assembly and the dasher. Lock the mixer’s head in place and plug the unit to the power source. Note: Assembling the attachment into a bowl-lift mixer is done differently.
Care and Cleaning
Let the freeze bowl reach room temperature before washing it with warm water and a mild cleaner. Then dry thoroughly before storing. On the other hand, the drive assembly and the dasher can be cleaned manually or by loading them into the dishwasher. It must be kept in mind that the freeze bowl can only be washed by hands using warm water and a mild cleaner. It is not advisable to wash it in the dishwasher.